Thursday, April 15, 2010

Grass-a-pillars

A few weeks before Easter, we made Grassapillars. I got the idea from Family Fun magazine, and added my own touches. They were super easy and lots of fun to make.
 
Here is my version of the instructions:

1.  Cut an egg carton into quarters (3 sections each), and trim the edges so they all appear even.
2.  Draw smiley faces and eyes on each carton quarter.
3.  Mix 1 cup - 1 1/2 cups potting soil with 4 tablespoons winter wheat berries. (You can also use grass seed, but it only comes in HUGE bags, and we only needed a little bit, so I bought winter wheat berries from the bulk foods area in my local grocery store.)
4.  Moisten the mix and scoop into the egg carton sections.
5.  Pat down the soil mixture firmly into each cup.
6.  Add pipe cleaners for the antennae.
7.  Set in a sunny window. The grass will begin to sprout in about a week.
8.  Don't forget to water your new friends.

Here is the picture of the family of grassapillars we created. It was great fun watching them grow, and a great lesson in growing things for my little one :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are like love notes, both make me smile!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Designed by Lena Graphics by Melany